Are you a new line manager and don’t quite get what your team is doing all day?
If yes, then this learning note is for you! It will provide you with some great tips for helping you overcome imposter syndrome and the sheer panic of managing technical people when you’re not really sure you’ll understand what they do.
Key Learning Points
- adopt a curious mind
- accept even through you’re a boss you’re a beginning again
- be humble
- don’t tell
- make of point of speaking to everyone individually
- don’t put too much pressure on yourself to ‘get it’ straight away
- take advice from peers
Be open to being a learner who is also leading.
Use the prompts to help ask great questions and find out more information when meeting with your team:
- what is your greatest challenge getting your everyday job done?
- what skills make someone good in this role?
- why do you like your role?
- what would make your role easier?
- what do you need form your boss?
- what do you not need?
- what resources could I read/watch/listen to learn more?
- is there a meet up group that you go to – could I come along?
- if you do read articles they send you, make sure to take notes on any questions you have and then go and speak with your staff members and get them to help you understand further – this will make them feel valued, heard, supported and empathised with
- if you are working with introverted people, make sure this is always 1:1 and in a meeting room or desk (if this is reasonably private) if possible to help them feel like they are in a safe space
- thank your team for their time but don’t make a too much of a big deal out of it
What will you do today to learn what your team does?
I’d love to hear from you, What will you do today to learn what your team does?