Use these proven strategies to generate momentum, gain the clarity you crave and create certainty on what jobs to apply for this year.
Do you want to get crystal clear on what job to apply for next?
If yes, then this learning note is for you! It will provide you with proven methods to help you get crystal clear on what roles to apply for next.
Key Learning Prompts
- Get crystal clear on what you want to do next
- Select a role that lets you be kick-ass every single day
- Research potential roles, bosses, companies
- Build support for your move
- Shift your mindset
- Embrace your ambition
Are you staying in a role you’re sick of because the next step scares you?
My own story
When I was nearing my (wanted) retrenchment from ANZ six years ago, I spent more time supporting my team to get new roles than I did on my own advancement. I was tired, stressed, renovating a house at the same time.
It was just overwhelming. I was suffering decision-fatigue, lacked energy and had NO IDEA what I was going to do next.
I talked about changing professions to teaching, I day-dreamed about owning my own business but had no idea in what, I talked to recruiters butall I really wanted to do was lie down – for a long time!
Which is pretty much what happened. For weeks after ‘freedom day’ I lay on my couch watching Agatha Christie and Pirout Murder mysteries waiting for my energy to return.
Looking back, I think my energy would have been best spent focusing on networking, building my non-ANZ contacts, not renovating!!, re-energising myself by focusing on my health and fitness (and I really wish I’d discovered a meditation practice then not a few years later.) But that is re-writing history.
I’ve now worked with clients who suffer similar challenges.Lots of experience, lots of time spent at one employer, lots of confusion and anxiety, pressure to make a great decision, fuzziness in the mind.
Get super clear
This is a 3-part email series to help give you ways of getting the energy and momentum you need to get crystal clear on what you really want to do next.
Activity 1 – Make a GREAT Decision
Chose your next step by making a great decision. Use these activities to narrow down your options. If you’re like me, your experience can be overwhelming. There are lots of roles I could do but not that many that I would really LOVE to do.
Focus on what you LOVE to do.
- Create a list of all the next options for you
- Define why (for leaving)
- Define your why for the next role (they could be same but worth contemplating if different)
- Free write on your ask for the next role – include values, projects, role scope, level of autonomy as well as notes on salary expectation, working conditions, seniority, work environment, potential boss
- List down all the companies you want to work with and for (and why!)
- List down all the industry types you want to work in
- List down all your kick ass skills – those skills you love to use, learn more of and show off with (you know what they are)
- Review your lists and match up the jobs that let you be kick ass everyday.
- Match up those companies and industries where being kick ass is going to be possible.
- Match job to companies and industries
- Select 1 or 2 jobs and companies to focus on and then start applying for roles, connecting with your network who work in these companies or role.
Find out as much as you can, make yourself visible, apply for roles and keep going until you get that job!
Now, I’d love to hear from you….
What will that new role mean for you?
Just comment below, I’d love to hear from you.